General insurance covered

What is general insurance?

When people think of general insurance, the main policies they think of are buildings cover, contents cover or buildings & contents together. Although these are the most mainstream policies, there are also other policies available such as Landlords insurance or ASU (accident, sickness and unemployment). 

How does buildings & contents cover work?

The answer depends on the type of cover you have. Buildings cover works in the way that it protects your property, it’s structure and it’s fixtures and fittings in the event that these are damaged as a result of unexpected life events such as fire, extreme weather conditions, burst water pipes or subsidence. As an optional extra, you can even have cover if damage is a result of an accident. If a claim is made, the policy will cover the cost to get the property back to it’s original state.

Contents cover works very similar to buildings however as it says in the name, it covers the contents inside the property such as electricals, carpets and furniture in the event of theft or damage. Like buildings, as an optional extra, you can also have accidental damage cover for those mishaps.

Landlords insurance

Landlords insurance is a very similar policy to a standard buildings & contents policy however it’s built for landlords rather than occupants.

By having a policy in place, not only can you have peace of mind that should the buildings or the contents be damaged, you are covered, but also that if damage is caused by tenants, you will not be at a financial loss rectifying this.

Landlords insurance also gives you the option to cover things such as loss of rental income, legal expenses cover and eviction costs. Not things you want to think about but things you must consider when being a landlord.

ASU insurance (accident, sickness and unemployment)

You may choose between three main types of cover:

  • Accident & sickness
  • Unemployment
  • Accident, sickness & unemployment

The great thing about the policy is that you can have one or all three of the covers meaning you can plug the gaps you have.

For example, does your current employer offer a generous redundancy package? Great, then you might not need unemployment cover but would still benefit from accident & sickness cover!

Likewise, you may have an income protection policy which covers your mortgage repayments and cost of living but your employer doesn’t offer a redundancy package. On that basis, unemployment cover is the one for you.

Whatever you choose, the maximum length for a mortgage protection plan is usually 12 months. In some cases, you may be eligible for a 24-month long plan.

This will give you time to apply for new jobs, without fear of missing important mortgage payments and increasing your interest rate.

Do I really need it?

Buildings & contents

As mentioned above, buildings insurance is a legal condition of a mortgage offer so if you have taken out a mortgage, in short, the answer is yes.

Even if you haven’t taken out a mortgage, we strongly suggest that you have a buildings cover in place as should the worst happen, it is unlikely there are funds available to replace or rebuild and even if there are, would you really want to use these rather than pay a small amount a month?

Adding contents cover to a buildings policy doesn’t usually cost much and offers you that extra peace of mind that if something is damaged within the property, you won’t have to fork out the funds to replace the damaged items.

ASU (accident, sickness and unemployment)

Even if you do have a an income protection policy, this won’t cover you for unemployment. With that in mind, ASU is always a good idea either to supplement an income protection policy or to cover all three areas in one.


Still debating? Drop in for a chat with one of our experts at a time that suits you for a free initial consultation where we’ll talk through all your needs and requirements.

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

There may be a fee for mortgage advice. The actual amount you pay will depend upon your circumstances. The fee is up to 1%, but a typical fee is £495 depending on your circumstances.

For insurance business we offer products from a choice of insurers.

Talk to us!

Speak to an advisor



    Top questions about mortgage protection

    Lendese have hundreds of policy solutions. With our expert advice and guidance on which type of protection is right for you, we can make sure you every angle is covered.


    The policies that fall under general insurance are; buildings insurance, contents insurance, buildings & contents insurance, landlords insurance and accident, sickness and unemployment cover.

    If you have a mortgage on a property then buildings insurance is part of the legal conditions of your mortgage unless you own a leasehold flat as the freeholder will be liable for this.

    Even if you don’t have a mortgage, we still strongly suggest that you have a buildings & contents policy in place and our advisers are more than happy to assist.

    Insurers will pay you a set amount each month potentially up to 65% of your salary gross salary or self employed income.

    Yes you can. Just like the way you can have income protection. The policy will still pay up to 65% of your gross income. Some policies will even pay unemployment cover for self employed policyholders subject to certain criteria being met.

    It can do yes. Most policies cover items up to a certain value away from the home as standard. If you have something of more value that you want covered then you will normally have to make the provider aware of the specific item.

    Our advisers will be able to guide you on what and what isn’t covered as standard and also guide you on how to get these valuable items protected if not.